Saturday, July 14, 2007
Reflections on Week 10
Week 10 was quite eclectic. We discussed data warehousing as well as GPS technologies. While I very much enjoy using a GPS for both turn-by-turn directions as well as Geocaching, I really dislike data warehousing. Coming from a DBA, that might sound odd. My experience has been that the data warehouse community is a whole separate subculture from the rest of the IT world. They feel that IT is a necessary evil that really stands in their way of obtaining their rolled up facts and figures. I happen to disagree. I feel the bread and butter of an organization is the day to day transactions and transactional data. This IS the business, and not just a means to obtain summary information. I suppose thats why I won't be invited back to another Data Warehousing Institute conference. Whew!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment